Winter is here – is your hot tub prepared?
The winter weather has hit and for some of us – earlier than we expected. Make sure your hot tub is in top condition to “weather” the weather. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
With the temperature dropping and freezing temperatures a common occurrence in Portland, consider purchasing a Winterizing Blanket.
This vinyl-covered, fiberglass insulated blanket installs inside the equipment compartment door, providing an additional precaution against partial freezing of some of the components – in turn maximizing the spa’s energy efficiency.
Make sure your cover is at peak performance level. Check for signs of wear and tear-make sure the seal is still tight and intact so heat doesn’t escape. If you see signs of sagging, fading or cracking, it may be time for a replacement.
Applying a protectant spray like 303 Protectant to the outside of the cover can help preserve it and keep it from becoming cracked in the first place. Applying 303 Protectant to the underside of your cover can help prevent mildew.
Also, be sure to remove snow from the spa cover before large amounts accumulate. Condensation might occur around the cover locks which could create ice build-up. To remove, splash with warm water; don’t try to pry the ice off. Wind straps are also good to keep the cover tightly secured during high wind storms.
If you are going away for a few days during the winter months, remember these tips:
- Before you go, adjust the pH according to your Owner’s Manual.
- Sanitize the water with a Chlorine-Free Oxidizer according to instructions.
- Lock down the cover to prevent access.
- Lock the light and jets feature on the control panel (on 1998 models).
- Upon your return, balance the pH and sanitize the water prior to using.
- If you will be gone longer than a few days, give us a call and we’ll walk you through some more steps to ensure your tub is in great condition when you finally return home.
If all of this seems overwhelming or you just can’t find the time to do it, let our professionally certified technicians do it for you. Our Signature Spa Care Service will take care of all the winter prep work to ensure your tub is in perfect condition when you need it most.