Want help losing weight? Try hot tub yoga
We’re getting into the height of spring, with summer just around the corner—hooray! But…what to do about those extra pounds you may have added over the winter when you just weren’t that active? Here’s something you can give a try: hot tub yoga.
Ever thought about doing yoga in your hot tub? It will not only make the whole yoga experience brand new, but it also affords three benefits that will help you shed some of those extra pounds:
- It will increase blood flow which aids in digestion while increasing your metabolism
- The buoyancy of hot water (and the temperature) will add an entirely new element to maintaining your yoga poses. That will help with increased calorie burning and strengthen your core. You can try taking it further by holding postures for longer periods and longer breaths—but remember that the hot water environment will be different than the regular yoga session.
- Slow breathing teamed up with hot water will allow de-stressing to rise to a whole new level. Full, slow breaths will maximize the stress release typically resulting from a good yoga session.
Giving your body the right nourishment for hot tub yoga will also enhance the benefits of each session. Here are five hints to have the best hot tub yoga workout:
- Since you’ll be in a hot water environment, best to not eat immediately before your workout. Avoid high fat food, and eat smaller lighter meals prior to the session. No caffeine, sugars, or processed foods.
- Eat fruits & vegetables that have a high water content to help your body stay hydrated. Spinach, cauliflower, arugula, kale, Swiss chard, broccoli, and cabbage are all terrific veggies. On the fruit side: watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, kiwi, cherries and grape are all excellent choices.
- Drink plenty of water. A couple tall glasses of water prior to your hot tub yoga, continued hydration during the workout, and yet more after the session are ideal.
- After your workout, reward your body with great foods for recovery: whole grain high fiber foods are great choices, as well as greens & lean proteins. Peppermint, ginger, or chamomile teas are also great options after your workout (and are caffeine free).
Give hot tub yoga a try! It will not only be a nice change of pace from your traditional yoga session, it could also help you shed those few extra pounds before the sunny weather arrives. (It will, we promise!)