The time to wear the green and celebrate the love of the Irish is just around the corner! St. Patrick’s Day is this Friday.
We think this is just as good a time as any to break out your Big Green Egg and revive it from the chilly winter we’re leaving behind and get it going again for plenty of yummy food. Why not make some Irish stew to kick things off?
Take a look at this recipe, get things together, and serve this with some warm Irish soda bread and your favorite stout brew. You’ll be feeling very lucky in no time!
Irish Beef Stew on the Big Green Egg
What you’ll need:
- 3 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil (divided in half)
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. Dizzy Gourmet© Cosmic Cow™ Seasoning
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 20 oz Irish stout
- 4 peeled Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 peeled turnips, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 peeled carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths
- Set your Egg at 350°F for direct cooking
- Add 2 tbsp. of oil in a Dutch oven for the Egg and place on the cooking grid
- Sprinkle Cosmic Cow Seasoning over your beef cubes
- Once the Dutch oven is heated to almost smoking, add the beef and cook until cubes are browned on all sides (about 10 minutes). Remove from oven.
- Add the final 2 tbsp. of oil to the oven
- Add onion and celery and cook until onion is translucent and soft (about 10 minutes)
- Add flour, garlic, tomato paste, salt, thyme, salt & pepper; stir and cook for a minute
- Add Irish stout and return the beef to the oven; cover and cook for 45 minutes
- Add potatoes, turnips & carrots and mix well; cover and cook for at least an hour (beef & vegetables should be tender)
- Stir in parsley
Can you just smell the goodness?