Make good ol’ BBQ chicken for Labor Day on your Big Green Egg
Can you believe Labor Day is nearly here?? It’s hard to believe summer is nearly behind us and it will soon be ready for some of the crisp fall nights ahead. Before that happens, the holiday weekend will afford yet another opportunity to break out the Big Green Egg and produce some mouth-watering treats for everyone to enjoy.
What could be better that some good old BBQ chicken? (We can’t think of anything!) Here’s a great recipe we came across using Dr. Pepper to make up the sauce. Why not give this a try and celebrate the weekend with friends, family, great food and great weather? Enjoy!
Dr. Pepper BBQ Chicken
What you’ll need for the sauce
- 2 cups Dr. Pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup pulp-free orange juice
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Mix the Dr. Pepper, ketchup, orange juice, Worcestershire sauce & molasses in a medium saucepan. After mixed, add the rest of the ingredients and bring the sauce to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low heat and let the sauce simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat your Egg to medium high and lightly oil the cooking grid.
- Place trimmed chicken breasts or other chicken pieces on the Egg and grill for 10-15 minutes on each side, brushing the Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce on each piece every time you turn them. Gill until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.