In case you haven’t heard, the Big Green Egg has arrived at Oregon Hot Tub! We’re excited to offer this incredibly innovative system for outdoor grilling and cooking.
And…we know: the great thing about grilling is getting that meat cooked up with that terrific flavor only grilling provides. But, did you know that the Big Green Egg is highly versatile, and can be used to cook up all kinds of terrific foods? Here’s a recipe for a great vegetarian option to prepare in the Big Green Egg.
Southwest Stuffed Green Peppers
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 oz. canned corn, with juice
- 4 oz. canned black beans
- 2 oz. sliced black olives
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- ½ tbsp. coarsely chopped chipotle chile en adobo
- 4 whole green peppers, seeded & de-veined
- 5 whole cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
How to make them:
- Preheat your Green Big Egg to 300F dome temperature.
- Cut & remove the cap from the green peppers (save the caps). Remove seeds & veins.
- Parboil the green peppers (including the caps) for five minutes, then quickly chill in ice water.
- Cook your two cups of rice in a rice cooker or on the stove top.
- Sauté the chopped onions & garlic.
- Add corn, beans, olives, chipotle & taco seasoning to the onions & garlic; cook for 15 minutes.
- Add cilantro, tomatoes & rice and mix thoroughly.
- Pack this mixture into the green peppers.
- Top each pepper with cheese & place the green pepper caps on top.
- Place peppers on a cast iron skillet and cook 30 minutes at 300-325F on the Big Green Egg.
We’d hazard a guess that many of you Big Green Egg lovers out there have a lot of recipes you love. Take a moment to send them our way! We may feature them in a future blog.
And—if you’re ready to experience the Big Green Egg craze, visit us today for a look at the complete lineup!