Stuffed burgers on the Big Green Egg for the 4th of July!
We don’t always get a warm sunny 4th of July in the Northwest. This year, it seems like we’re going to be enjoying a smokin’ hot 4th of July to be sure, with temps nearing 100° in the greater Portland area!
Whether you love this kind of heat or not, one thing is sure: Americans do love a good barbecue on the 4th of July. If you’ve got a Big Green Egg, we’ve got a terrific recipe from Dr. BBQ sure to be a hit for the holiday—stuffed burgers. What could be more all-American than burgers on the 4th?
Enjoy…and have a safe, happy and healthy Independence Day!
Stuffed Burgers on the Big Green Egg
What you’ll need:
Ground beef (80% lean/20% fat)
Sliced mozzarella cheese
Crumbled bleu cheese
BBQ Rub (or other seasonings)
- Set up your Egg for direct cooking at 400° F
- Make a generous sized patty, pressed out quite thin (you’re going to need a second thin patty to make this burger!)
- Once formed, combine the two following ingredients on top of the patty…Either:
- A slice of tomato topped with a slice of mozzarella; or
- Sliced prosciutto topped with crumbled bleu cheese
- Place a second thinly formed patty on top of the ingredients, and close the edges to keep the ingredients inside the patty for the Egg.
- Season the patties, either with a great BBQ Rub, salt & pepper, or other seasonings of your choice.
- Place the patties on the Egg. Cook on each side for about 5-6 minutes.
That’s it! Simple, easy and oh so good! Serve them up with potato salad, cole slaw, corn on the cob, watermelon…all the terrific foods that make a 4th of July outing a treat for the palette!